Man, was I crafty this holiday season! One of the many DIY projects I did was sew my very own DIY Christmas Stockings for my husband and I to hang on our mantle. These stockings were made from handwoven fabric my Mom wove on her loom, which makes them so special. I designed the stockings to have our names embroidered on the inside, knowing I wanted to create these simple acrylic DIY Acrylic Stocking Name Tags for the outside!
This project was so simple, and I alway enjoy whipping out my Cricut machine! It’s a great beginner project and was super inexpensive – always a plus!
- Cricut Machine
- Vinyl (removable or permanent)
- Transfer Tape
- Standard Grip Mat
- Weeding Tool
- Scraper Tool
- Acrylic Tags
- Cording (I got mine from Hobby Lobby, but found similar cording here with an array of different colors)
Step 1: Cut the Vinyl
CRICUT MACHINE INSTRUCTIONS
Preparing the File to Cut + Draw
- Open Cricut Design Space
- Click New Project
- Click Text and type your desired name
- Under Font select your desired font (I chose one called Winterhome that was previously downloaded on my computer system)
- Under Size click the lock icon (the lock should appear unlocked now) and change the height measurement to 1.75″ and the width measurement to 2.75″
- Select the name and click Attach
- Repeat steps 3-6 with remaining names if you are making multiple
- Click Make It
Cutting + Drawing
- Check that Material Type is On Mat and Material Size is 12 in x 12 in (mirror should be turned off)
- If you are doing multiple names, if you want, you can move them slightly to create a some space between them.
- Click Continue
- Connect your Cricut machine
- Choose your Base Material as Vinyl
- Load your Tools and Material (Blade Tool)
- Prepare Mat and load into your machine (instructions below)
- Press GO on your machine
To prepare the mat, cut a piece of your vinyl big enough to fit the names you are cutting. For me, I cut a piece that was 3″x7″.
At this time, I also cut a piece of the transfer tape at the same dimensions.
Place the piece of vinyl on a Standard Grip Mat making sure the right side is facing up.
Load the mat into the machine by clicking the blinking arrow button on the machine.
Then, start the cut by clicking the blinking Cricut logo button.
Let the machine do its magic!
Once the cut is complete, unload the mat by clicking the blinking arrow button once more.
Remove the vinyl from the mat and weed out the excess vinyl so that only the names remain.
Step 2: Apply Names to Tags
Start by cutting out each individual name.
Then, cut the piece of transfer tape you cut earlier in half.
You want to make sure that the transfer tape is larger than the name cut from the vinyl.
To apply the name to the acrylic tag, peel the transfer tape to remove the clear, transparent layer.
Place this layer over the name and press. If you have a scraper tool, it really helps here!
Next, pull up the transfer tape. The name should completely transfer over.
If you decided to purchase the same acrylic tags I am using, they come with a brown protective layer on each side of the tag. At this point, peel away the protective layers.
Doing your best to center the name, apply to the tag. Use the scraper tool here to securely attach the name.
Peel away the transfer tape to transfer the name onto the tag.
If you are creating multiple, repeat this process with all other names.
Step 3: Add the Cording
Cut a piece of cording approximately 14″ long.
Fold it in half and thread it up through the hole of the acrylic tag.
Insert the ends of the cording through the loop that is created and pull tight.
Tie a knot at the end of the cord and trim the ends if necessary.
There you have it! You have created your own DIY Acrylic Stocking Name Tags for this holiday season!
Feel free to leave a comment below!